Budiawan earned his Dr.rer.nat. ( Ph.D) in chemical toxicology from University of Wuerzburg Germany in 1997. He was the Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Instituet fuer Toxicoly University of Wuerzburg Germany in 2012. His research interests is the mechanisme of chemical in carsinogenesis especially Formation of DNA Adduct in vitro and in vivo study.
He has other experinces as consultant/expert team for the field of Chemical Safety and Management of Hazardous Chemicals for several departments/ agencies: Department of Industry RI, Ministry of Environment RI, Ministry of Health RI, Center for Occupational Health and Safety Department of Manpower and Transmigration RI, National Agency for Drug and Food Control RI, Japan International Cooperation Agency, World Health Organization, and several Industries. He has also as Expert Witness for Indonesian Government in the Buyat Environmental Pollution for Case of Human exposure (2004) and Expert witness for Indonesian Justice in Jessica & Mirna for Case of cyanide Coffee death (2016)
- 1999, Young Scientist of The Year in Science, 50th Dies Natalis University of Indonesia Award 2000 – as 1st runner up in “The Best Research in field of Mathematics and Natural Science”, 51th Dies Natalis University of Indonesia.
- 2000, Award as 4th runner up in “The Best Research in field of Mathematics and Natural Science”, 51th Dies Natalis University of Indonesia
- 2012, Research grand in chemical Toxicology from “Swiss Contact Foundation”-Jakarta
- 2013 – present, Resource person with certificate for many activities related to Chemical Safety in human and enviroment for several departments/ agencies in Indonesia.
- Budiawan and Khairani, N. (2002). ”Detection of Acrolein and Crotonaldehyde Adducts as Initiation of Cancer Risk in the Environment”. Indon. J. Environ. Chem. Toxicol., 1: 13-18.
- Eder, E. and Budiawan. (2001) “Cancer risk assessment for the environmental mutagen and carcinogen crotonaldehyde on the basis of TD50 and comparison with 1,N2-propanodeoxyguanosine adduct levels”. Cancer Epidem. Biom., 10: 883-888.
- Budiawan and Eder, E. (2000) “Detection of 1,N2-propanodeoxyguanosine adducts in DNA of Fischer 344 rats by an adapted 32P-post-labeling technigue after per os application of Crotonaldehyde”. Carcinogenesis, 21: 1191-1196.
- Budiawan, Schuler, D., Eder, E. (2000) “Development of a 32P-postlabeling method for the detection of 1,N2-propanodeoxyguanosine adducts of crotonaldehyde in vivo”. Arch. Toxicol., 74: 404-414.
- Eder, E., Schuler, D., Budiawan. (1999) Cancer risk Assessment for crotonaldehyde and 2-hexenal by quantitation of exocyclic 1,N2-propanodeoxyguanosine adducts in animal tissues”. IARC Scientific Publication, 150: 219-232.
- Schuler, D., Budiawan, Eder, E. (1999) “Development of a 32P-postlabeling method for the detection of 1,N2-propanodeoxyguanosine adducts of 2-hexenal in vivo”. Chem. Res. Toxicol., 12: 335-340.
- Eder, E., Budiawan, Schuler,D., Otteneder, M. (1997) “Assessment of the tumor–initiating potential of α,β-unsaturated adducts in vivo”. Recent Results in Cancer Research, 143: 64-75.
- Eder, E., Budiawan, Schuler, D. (1996) “Crotonaldehyde: A Carcinogenic and Mutagenic Air, Water and Food Pollutant”. Cent. Eur. J. Public Health 4, Suppl. p.21-22. (National Institute of Public Health, Prague)
- Eder, E., Budiawan, Schuler,D. (1995) “Detection of 1,N2-cyclic propanodeoxyguanosine adducts of crotonaldehyde in DNA of various organs of rats”. Cancer Res. Clin. Oncology, 121, Suppl. 2, A 25, K06 (Springer-Verlag)
- Eder, E., Budiawan and D. Schuler (1995) “The Role of ,β-Unsaturated Carbonyl Compounds in Initiation of Cancer”. Toxicology Letters, 78: 31.