Inorganic chemistry is a broad chemical knowledge that deals with almost all aspects of life, social, cultural and environment. Information on the knowledge of materials science and technology, new and advanced materials, catalysis, toxicology and forensic science, biochemistry, medicine, and education are some of the areas that closely related to the research and development of inorganic chemistry fields.
In inorganic chemistry, students will learn, gain, and apply information about all elements, except carbon and hydrogen based compounds which mainly discussed in organic chemistry, to understand their chemical and physical properties. Inorganic chemistry covers not only the elements and inorganic compounds, but also learn the principles and chemistry-physics phenomena that often overlapping with the field of organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, and biochemistry.
In industry, the application of concepts and models of inorganic materials plays a key role in the current development of advanced material technologies, especially those that deal with the enhancement of quality and efficiency of the material. Recent development of science and technology in advanced nanomaterials or environmentally friendly green technology are some out of many examples of the integration between inorganic chemistry knowledge and dynamic variations in the composition, structure, physical-chemical properties, and reactivity of materials. Synthesis of efficient and effective materials for the catalysis, semi- and super-conductors, non-linear optical equipment, modern ceramic materials, bioinorganic materials, etc. cannot be separated from the research and development of concepts and models of inorganic materials.
In the department of chemistry, Universitas Indonesia, teaching materials for inorganic chemistry knowledge is designed to follow the most current research, development and application of inorganic chemistry fields. The specific objectives in inorganic chemistry knowledge are including:
- Structure of atoms, molecules and chemical bonds.
- Systematics of main elements and compounds.
- Transition metal compounds and coordination complexes.
- Natural-based and synthetic inorganic solid framework materials.
- Organometallic compounds.
- Bioinorganic compounds.
Research in the division of inorganic chemistry Universitas Indonesia covers almost all major inorganic chemistry fields. Division of inorganic chemistry UI hosts some of the nationally and internationally renowned researchers and experts in many inorganic fields. Our faculties are leaders in several major research areas including:
- Solid inorganic frameworks; synthesis, modification and application of both synthetic and natural-based inorganic frameworks materials such as zeolite and other aluminasilicate materials, porous carbon, and MOF; and their application in energy and the environment, ranging from but not limited to adsorption, catalyst, sensor, and biocomposite.
- Synthesis, characterization and functionalization of advanced nanomaterials with specific application in catalysis, renewable energy, biomedical, energy storage and conversion, as well as oil and gas industry.
- Coordination and complex chemistry with specific interest in transitional metals and natural or synthetic ligands chemistry.
- Organometallic compounds; synthesis and application in homogeneous catalysis.
Division of Inorganic Chemistry Faculties